A car engine has several moving parts, and these parts need proper lubrication to avoid damage. The engine oil is responsible for this lubrication. Over time, the oil breaks down and can become contaminated with dirt, debris as well as dust from the engine and the environment. When this occurs, the oil can’t function as it should. Many car owners fail to keep this aspect in view. It isn’t uncommon for many vehicles to have dirty or low engine oil.
Proactively changing your car’s oil and filter helps the engine function optimally and prevents costly repairs down the track. The average annual cost of oil changes is only around $120. When you compare this to the $4000 that it can cost you for not maintaining your engine proactively, you will realize that regular oil changes are worth it.
Changing the engine oil is not only right for your vehicle but your wallet as well. You should take your car to a mechanic garage for an oil change as per the schedule mention in your owner’s manual.
Why Oil Change is So Vital
There are many reasons why you should get the oil change done regularly at a certified mechanic garage, such as:
- Maintains lubrication in the Engine– All the moving parts in the engine like the valves, pistons, etc. operate at very high speeds under the hood of your car. All these components generate heat, and without the appropriate oil lubrication, the heat will wear down your engine dramatically. Refer to the vehicle owner’s manual to see the specific grade & weight of oil your car needs and make sure you keep it at the recommended level.
- Keeps The Engine Components Cool– Moving engine parts that don’t have proper lubrication create a lot of friction, and this generates heat. Maintaining sufficient & clean amounts of oil is the best way to prevent excessive friction and over-heating your engine’s components.
- Removes Sludge And Engine Wear Particle– Dirt particles cause significant damage to engines. Over time, this dirt and fine debris can cause corrosion in the parts; this decreases the life of the engine. Over time, the oil breaks down and gets converted to “sludge.” Keeping the engine clean is crucial to ensure its performance. Scheduled oil and filter changes are essential to remove sludge and particles and keep your engine functioning in peak condition.
- Improves Mileage– Inadequate lubrication can result in higher fuel consumption, so it’s essential to ensure that your engine has sufficient clean oil. According to the U.S. DoE, routine oil changes, gas mileage can be improved by 1-2% over time. While this might not sound like much of an improvement, for the average vehicle, it translates to savings of a gallon of gas annually.
- Extends the Longevity of the Vehicle– Routine maintenance increases the lifespan of your vehicle. The buildup in the dirty oil affects fuel economy and performance and strains the engine’s internal components. This stress can result in more engine problems down the line and shortens its life as well. If you have upheld regular car maintenance from a mechanic garage, it can increase car valuation if you plan to sell your vehicle at some point.
The good news is that getting an oil change is a very affordable car maintenance task. But doing this at the recommended intervals is one of the best ways to improve your vehicle’s performance and save you money. Make sure that you get the oil change and all other maintenance done at a CAA certified mechanic garage. They will make sure that the oil change is done as per your car’s maintenance schedule specifications recommended by the manufacturer.