When it comes to replacing natural teeth that are damaged or missing, there are several options. But one of them stands out above the others- dental implants. This treatment offers benefits that various other teeth replacement options, such as bridges or dentures can’t provide.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Prevents Bone Loss– If you lose teeth, you tend to lose a certain amount of bone mass in the jaw. Your jawbone requires the stimulation it usually gets when the upper and lower teeth connect, and that helps to maintain its mass. A dental implant is the only tooth replacement solution that also helps to replace that unique jaw bone stimulation, which in turn helps to prevent bone loss.
- Looks like Your Natural Teeth– During a dental implant, the cap or prosthetic tooth that is placed on the titanium root is available in a range of sizes and shapes. The dentist will make sure that this cap perfectly matches the surrounding teeth and that it fits into the gap correctly. No one would know that you have an implant, but you and your dentist.
- Restores Your Bite Force- Because a dental implant is anchored into the jaw, it replaces the tooth root. It’s why you can bite with almost the same amount of force you would be able to apply with your natural teeth. No other tooth replacement options restore as much of this bite force because they only sit on top of your gums and are not anchored in place.
- Does Not Affect Normal Speech– Certain tooth replacement options, such as dentures, can have an impact on the ability to speak normally and pronounce words correctly, and missing teeth can alter your speech. But dental implants function and feel like natural teeth, which is why you can speak easily and very naturally even if you have them.
- Helps Prevent Facial Shape Changes– Your teeth help to support your overall facial structure. If you lose teeth, you also lose that support, which ultimately causes changes in the shape of your face. The subsequent sagging or hollow look makes you look older than you are. But when you get a dental implant, it provides the same support to your face as natural teeth do, which help prevent facial shape changes.
- No Cavities– Even when you have implants, you’d need to care for them so that there is no bacterial buildup in your mouth, which can lead to infections. However, dental implants are made of a material that cant decay, so you don’t need to worry about getting any cavities at that spot.
- No Embarrassing Slippages– People with dentures sometimes feel incredibly self-conscious while eating, speaking, or laughing, in public, because dentures can visibly slip/shift inside your mouth. In comparison, a dental implant is anchored firmly in place, and it will not embarrass you.
- A Permanent Treatment For Tooth Loss- All tooth replacement options would need periodic repair or replacement. However, dental implants are specifically designed to last for many years and are an almost permanent solution to tooth loss.
Aside from this, taking care of your dental implants is very easy, and you only need to brush and floss as usual. They don’t need any exclusive cleaning products or care like special flossers, cleansing tablets, adhesive, cups, etc. and they provide excellent support to your adjacent teeth.
If you are looking for a reliable and effective tooth replacement option, you consider dental implants. Schedule a consultation with your dentist to determine whether you are a good candidate for modern dental implants.