Many people that have relocated in the past feel that a move can be stressful. Most do not look forward to the activity at all. It’s true that moving to a new place can be exciting and that you have something exciting to look forward to. However, the actual move can prove to be a pain point.
Most don’t have the luxury to keep everything else on hold. They still have professional and personal responsibilities. Also, they need to pack and wrap all their belongings well before moving day. Cleaning the house is another activity to complete before they leave for the new location. No matter which way you look at it, it’s crucial to plan the move systematically.
The best way to ensure that you do not have to feel stressed during this time is to hire a professional moving company for the job. These people have years of experience behind them and know what it takes to handle every aspect of the move professionally and efficiently. It is also a good idea to create a detailed checklist to make sure that you do not miss out on any aspect so that the entire move takes place seamlessly:
Send A Change Of Address Notification To:
- Taxation department
- Financial institutions
- post office
- Life insurance company
- Leasing company
- Car insurance company
- Health insurance company
- Children’s schools
- Any shops where you have charge accounts club memberships
- Your lawyer
- You are wet
- Regular correspondence, friends and relatives
- Publications you have subscribed to
- Dentists and doctors
Services That You Need To Discontinue:
- Internet service
- Newspaper delivery
- Cable or satellite TV service
- Publication delivery
Some things to do without fail:
- Turn off water hoses to all the appliances
- Switch off the refrigerator
- Make sure that every appliance is ready and packed
- Empty the gas cylinders if you have them
- Dispose of any items which you will not be carrying with you
- Return books to the library
- Remove electrical fittings and fixtures from walls
- If you have children, organize for a babysitter for the day of the move
- Keep your tickets for passport aside, so you don’t pack them with other things
Things That You Cannot Pack and Transport
- Any products that contain bleach
- Cans of paint
- Gas cylinders
- Linseed oil
- Vegetable oil
- Cleaning fluid
- Chemical sets
- Overload the furniture with items
- Polish any of the furniture before the move
- Pack breakables in drawers
- Store perishable foods such as cereals etc.
- Put any liquid items in flowers
- Forget to check every area in a house for things that you or the movers may have missed
Other Things to Do:
- Check every area, basement, and storage space or garage to ensure that you haven’t left anything behind
- Check the main power, water heater, and gas connections and ensure that they are turned off
- Check whether you have left anything at the dry cleaners
- Turn off the air conditioners when you are carrying out any packing. This step helps to eliminate moisture-related issues during the relocation process.
- If there are any hazardous materials, flammable items, etc. make sure that you discard them.
- Keep your address book and phone book in the carry-on luggage. It will help you find the information you need if you need to get in touch with anyone later.
This checklist will help ensure you don’t forget the essential things you need to do and focus on when planning your move. You can add or delete points from this list, depending on what your requirements are. Once you have completed a task, tick it off the list to keep things on track. Let the moving company handle the rest.