Birth control is about the different methods used to prevent pregnancy. Not only do birth control options stop you from becoming pregnant, they are also believed to be able to avert a person from being infected with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

According to the data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 1.8 million cases have been reported across the country this year with chlamydia having the highest infection rate with 1.4 million reported cases. That covers 79% of all reported cases. The other 21% is from the combined results of P&S syphilis and gonorrhea.

In this article you will read about several of the most popular practiced birth control techniques and whether they are able to counteract the chance of acquiring STDs.

Cervical Caps: Cervical caps a small latex cups that a placed inside the vagina and must remain there several hours after intercourse and also must be removed within a certain time period which is normally prescribed to the woman. This type of contraception is an effective method of birth control but only offer very little protection against contracting STDs.

Coils: Otherwise known as Essure. This is seen as a permanent method to stop pregnancy.  It’s a technique that involves inserting steel coils into the fallopian tubes to make scar tissue. This type of method has seen many women experience major side effects and also doesn’t protect the user from catching STDs.

Sponges: Contraceptive sponges act similar to cervical caps although they are dosed with a spermicide to withstand sperm traveling past them. Sponges must be removed within 24hrs of having intercourse. They do not prevent the user from being infected with STDs.

The Pill: The birth control pill possibly the most successful method of stopping pregnancy. Progestin hormone-only pill and the oral contraceptive pill are the 2 types of this contraceptive available. It doesn’t stop a person from obtaining STDs but it is effective against pregnancy.

Diaphragms: These are placed in the same way as a cervical cap. You cannot get these without a prescription from a doctor. Like the cervical cap, they offer no protection from STDs.

Patches: Contraceptive patches are like the pill but worn on the skin. One patch can be worn for three weeks and then removed in order for the woman’s menstrual cycle to process. They are ineffective against STDs but work very well against pregnancy although they have been proven to cause some skin irritation to some users.

Injections:  The contraceptive injection does not prevent catching STDs but it is a highly efficient method of birth control. After a woman has taken the injection, she can be sterile for up to three months.

Implants: Contraceptive implants contain the same hormone (Progestin) used in the birth control pill. This form of birth control gives the user a lengthy period of time in which she can’t become pregnant. After a few years, the implant must be removed from the body. This form of birth control does not offer any protection against being infected with STDs.

IUDs: Although this method of contraception offersno prevention from obtaining STDs, an Intrauterine Device (IUD) is a highly effective form of birth control that can last for many years. There are 2 types of this device; copper and hormonal. They must be prescribed by a doctor and need to be fitted by a trained professional.

Condoms: Condoms manufactured for both males and females. Condoms are made from either latex or polyurethane and are one of the very few birth control methods that protects the user from contracting STDs. They don’t need to be prescribed and they are very accessible to buy through convenience stores to pharmacies. Female condoms can too offer little protection from STDs but they are not as efficient as male condoms in that way.

So looking back at all the methods, you can see that not all types of birth control can decrease the chances of contracting STDs.  Although it is impossible to say that condoms prevent users from STDs 100%, they are regarded as the best form of protection to minimalize the risk of an STD infection.

When selecting to handle with STDCheck, a great std clinic Dublin company,  you are selecting to deal immediately with skilled health professionals and healthcare professionals who excel in the administration of STD’s/STI’s.

Florin is definitely an Online Marketing expert and article writer who likes to research the modern trends in business, technology and marketing communications and writes about a range of topics.